Today I talk with David Kingham, the author of Craft and Vision’s latest ebook Nightscape, that is hot of the digital press. David is a landscape photographer currently living a nomadic life traveling the America West specializing in making breathtaking photographs of the night sky.
Use this audio player to listen:
Here are the questions I posed to David. Please listen to see how he answered them. 🙂
- How you got started in photography?
- How did your photography progress into night photography?
- You wrote a wonderful blog post about how you completely changed your life, which I’ll link to in the show-notes, but could you give us a brief outline?
- I really liked how you start with 22 pages of information on Understanding the Night Sky. How did you accumulate all this knowledge of your subject?
- You are also providing a series of presets with the book. Can you tell us how they tie into the book?
- You feature a number of stitched panorama photos and go on to discuss some of your techniques. What’s your most used technique for shooting the images to stitch together?
- I was surprised to see you recommend the use of fog filters to blur the night sky, although I now understand why having read your explanation. Could you explain this here for the listeners?
- The 500 Rule was also very helpful. I was happy to find that the settings I have used on the few occasions that I have done night sky photography were pretty much accurate, but I feel happier now that I have a proven formula to work with. Can you explain the 500 Rule?
- When I heard you were living out of a Toyota 4Runner and a tent, I realized just how hard you were working for your craft. How long have you been living the nomadic life now, and how long do you think you’ll be able to keep it up?
- What do you do for power?
- I know we’ve already covered a number of techniques, and I don’t want to give away too much, but could you give us your three top tips for others wanting to photograph Nightscapes?
Check out Nightscape over on Craft & Vision here: https://mbp.ac/nightscape
You can find David online here: http://www.davidkinghamphotography.com/
(There are more links below.)
Here are some of David’s beautiful Nightscape photographs, that we briefly discuss towards the end of the Podcast.
Also, I’m a little embarrassed to show these alongside David’s beautiful night sky images, but here are the photo from a time-lapse I was making, that I mentioned during our conversation where what would appear to be a meteor made the night sky as bright as day.
And here is the frame before the above photograph. You can just see a meteor on the horizon. I’m not sure if this could be the cause, especially as it was the previous frame, but it shows that there was some activity.
Check out Nightscape on Craft & Vision: https://mbp.ac/nightscape
David Kingham’s Web site: http://www.davidkinghamphotography.com/
The blog posts mentioned:
How I Completely Changed My Life: http://www.davidkinghamphotography.com/blog/2013/1/how-i-completely-changed-my-life-in-1-year
Year Long Road Trip: http://www.davidkinghamphotography.com/blog/2014/3/a-year-on-the-road
Subscribe in iTunes for Enhanced Podcasts delivered automatically to your computer.
Download this Podcast in MP3 format (Audio Only).
Download this Podcast in Enhanced Podcast M4A format. This requires Apple iTunes or Quicktime to view/listen.
Share this post with your friends!
You can also use the social icons below...