Today I chat with commercial photographer and the king of compositing, Josh Rossi, in a fascinating interview in which Josh shares some of his compositing skills and business acumen. Based in Salt Lake City, Utah, Josh really does take his photography to a whole new level with his creativity and mad Photoshop skills.
Use this audio player if you’d prefer to listen:
This episode is brought to you by lynda.com. Learn lighting, portraiture, Photoshop skills, and more from expert-taught video courses. To start your 7-day free trial, visit lynda.com/mbp.
As this was an interview there is no manuscript this week, but here are some of the questions that I posed to Josh, to give you an idea of what we discussed.
- Tell us about yourself and how you started and came to create such fantastic work.
- How much time goes into one of your images, starting from the shoot(s) and working through to the finished image?
- Where do you get your ideas or inspiration for your images?
- I saw on your site that you were working on your composites for a year and a half before you showed anyone your work. Why was that?
- Are there any special tools that you use in your editing?
- Do you ever license images, like for example an explosion, for use in your composites, or do you shoot every element yourself?
- Tell us about Composite Planet?
- What advice can you give to someone that wants to start to create composite images?
- Can you give my listeners a discount code for your videos?
- How do you connect with your clients for your composite images?
- Do you ever show people straight photographs any more or is it all composite work?
- Tell us about your Podcast the Full Time Photographer?
Links to everything Josh is into are at the bottom of the post.
Before you get there, here are a few of Josh’s incredible works of art for your viewing pleasure…
Sponsored by Lynda.com
We are proud to have Lynda.com on board as our current sponsors lynda.com. Learn lighting, portraiture, Photoshop skills, and more from expert-taught video courses. To start your 7-day free trial, visit lynda.com/mbp.
Music by UniqueTracks
Subscribe in iTunes for Enhanced Podcasts delivered automatically to your computer.
Download this Podcast in MP3 format (Audio Only).
Download this Podcast in Enhanced Podcast M4A format. This requires Apple iTunes or Quicktime to view/listen.