Today I welcome Curtis Hustace to the show to talk about his thirty year career as a commercial photographer and to walk us through some of the techniques he uses when creating his beautiful still life photography.
As this was an ad-lib conversation, we don’t have a manuscript to share with you this week, so please listen with the audio player above, and follow along with the images we discuss below.
Here are the key discussion points.
- How Curtis got into photography
- Curtis’ 30 year photography career
- We look through and discuss the five beautiful photographs below, including…
- Come up with a composition, sometimes getting inspiration from old masters
- Light sculpting techniques and post processing
- How much Curtis’ personal project work influences his commercial work, or vice versa
- Three pieces of advice for someone hoping to break into commercial photography
- The importance of printing your photographs
Catch up with Curtis Online
Here are some of the other links and people that we talked about during our conversation.
Helicon Focus Stacking: http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconsoft-products/helicon-focus/
Aaron Jones: http://aaronjonesphoto.com
Harold Ross Fine Art Photography: https://haroldrossfineart.wordpress.com
Here are the light modifiers that Curtis mentioned: https://www.etsy.com/shop/RakeTheLight
And here is a page discussing the tools required: https://haroldrossfineart.wordpress.com/light-painting-tools-and-resources/
Curtis also mentioned: https://www.photigy.com
Curtis’ Beautiful Images
You can find more of Curtis’s beautiful work here: http://curtishustace.500px.com
Subscribe in iTunes for Enhanced Podcasts delivered automatically to your computer.
Download this Podcast in MP3 format (Audio Only).
Download this Podcast in Enhanced Podcast M4A format. This requires Apple iTunes or Quicktime to view/listen.