THE COMPLETE NAMIBIA PHOTOGRAPHY TOUR & WORKSHOP May 2023
Namibia is a place of wonder and amazement. Ideally situated between the Kalahari and the South Atlantic, Namibia is one of the youngest countries in Africa. The various cultures, spectacular landscapes and wildlife make Namibia a photographer’s dream. This tour gives you 17 days to experience Namibia in her entirety—Complete Namibia!
Forty-two percent of Namibia’s land is under wildlife management. While most countries have declining numbers of endangered species, Namibia has increasing populations, even outside of her National Parks. Namibia is home to the most successful community-based conservation through tourism projects in the world, and you can experience this, first hand, in its entirety, in our Complete Namibia Tour & Workshop.
We will travel in a group of just five participants per safari vehicle, with your instructor in the front passenger seat, so everyone gets a window seat, and the roof of our vehicle opens up for unhindered shooting when the situation allows. A second vehicle will be added as necessary, but the maximum group size will be 10, split into two vehicles, with two instructors.
May 18 – June 3, 2023
Day 1 – Windhoek (May 18)
All guests will arrive and be transferred to our lodge in the hills overlooking Windhoek, the capital of Namibia, and enjoy our first meal together in beautiful surroundings.
Day 2 – Keetmanshoop (May 19)
On day two, we drive to Keetmanshoop and visit the Quiver Tree Forest, and hopefully also get a little bit of astrophotography in to photograph the Milky Way with the Quiver Trees.
The following morning we’ll visit the Giant’s Playground, before taking another steady drive over to the coast and the quaint town of Luderitz.
Days 3, 4 – Kolmanskop (May 20, 21)
From our base in the beautiful coastal town of Luderitz, we’ll make a number of trips spending some quality time in the abandoned diamond mine town of Kolmanskop.
We will also make an excursion to the exclusive Elizabeth Bay, to photograph the deserted houses, sleeping quarters, and other buildings there.
Days 5 to 7 – Sossusvlei (May 22, 23, 24)
From Luderitz, we head to Sossusvlei where we stay inside the national park so that we can get access to Deadvlei at dawn to photograph the iconic Camel-Thorn Trees in silhouette against the deep orange dunes.
We will also have a number of shoots of the surrounding sand dunes during our time in the beautiful Sossusvlei area.
Days 8, 9 – Walvis Bay (May 25, 26)
We break up our journey between south and north Namibia with two nights in a beautiful colonial lodge at Walvis Bay, where we’ll photograph the flamingoes and pelicans in the bay. This is the perfect chance to get some well needed R&R and for those with the energy, we’ll arrange an optional safari drive into the dunes and over to the flamingo colony in Sandwich Harbour.
Days 10, 11 – Palmwag (May 27, 28)
From our base in the beautiful lodge at Palmwag, we’ll visit a Himba settlement a number of times. The Himba are a nomadic people who let us into their settlements and share aspects of their culture, giving us ample chances to capture their unique way of life.
ETOSHA NATIONAL PARK
Days 12, 13 – Ongava (May 29, 30)
From this point, we will have an optional safari drive into the private park owned by the lodge, and head into the Etosha National Park and change focus to the majestic wildlife within, including gemsbok, springbok, and hartebeest to ostrich, elephant, rhino, and lion.
Days 14, 15 – Onguma (May 31, Jun 1)
We move on to Onkoshi for a further two days in the Etosha National Park, where we’ll stay in thatched-roof lodges on elevated wooden decks on the edge of the Etosha Pan. This location affords us access to more exclusive areas of the park that are beyond the reach of self-drive visitors. Photographic opportunities here include spotted and brown hyena, aardwolf, honey badger, and jackals.
Day 16 – Windhoek (June 2)
After our final shoot in the Etosha National Park, we embark on our last drive back to Windhoek for one last night in our hilltop lodge to celebrate a successful tour together.
Day 17 – Windhoek & Departure (June 3)
On our final day depending on departure times, you may have a little time to photograph in the area before being transported to the airport to complete the tour.
Your Host and Instructor
Martin Bailey is a British-born, Japan-based professional photographer, author, and international photography tour and workshop leader. With almost 40 years of photography experience and fourteen years running workshops around the globe, including four previous tours in Namibia, Martin is an excellent choice to join for your Namibia photography adventure.
If we fill two safari vehicles, we will also be joined by a co-host and assistant, who will rotate between vehicles, so there will always be an able instructor in your vehicle to answer any questions that you might have during the tour.
Throughout the tour, we stay in some of the best accommodation available in the area for each of our locations. These range from very comfortable to luxurious lodges. Quite often you’ll feel so comfortable and at home, you won’t want to pack up and leave for our next location.
Ground Staff and Transport
We will be met at the airport by two experienced guides who will drive us each day throughout the trip in sturdy Land Cruisers. The vehicles have been customized to enable us to open and raise the roof section so that we can shoot out of the top of the vehicle when appropriate.
The use of these off-road vehicles also allows us to access some areas that would otherwise require us to wait for and change to another shuttle vehicle, and therefore not be able to maximize our time in Namibia, and would even result in us not getting to some time-critical locations in time for the natural phenomenon that makes them so special.
Who Is This Tour For?
- Anyone with a love for culture, landscape and wildlife photography, and an adventurous spirit
- Anyone that wants to improve their photography while shooting the photographs of a lifetime
- General tuition assumes a basic understanding of photography and your equipment, but Photographers of all skill levels are very welcome
What Should I Bring?
- You’ll need at least one SLR or mirrorless camera, ideally two to give you the opportunity to shoot with multiple lenses simultaneously, and also as a backup
- Lenses from wide-angle up around 400mm (or the 35mm equivalent)
- A sturdy tripod and cable release, and a polarizer and neutral density filters also broaden your horizons
- A more detailed list including clothing etc. is included in the tour guidebook that you’ll receive after signing up
What is Included in the Package?
- Airport pickup and dropoff at Windhoek, Namibia
- All accommodation during your tour
- All meals during the tour are included
- A professional guide and driver to transport us safely around Namibia for the entire trip
- Admission fees for planned facilities and excursions
What is Not Included in the Package?
- Your flight and any other travel costs to Windhoek Airport and back home again after the tour
- Any hotels while traveling prior to or following the tour (although our travel partners can help you with booking any additional hotels during transit before and/or after the tour, at your expense)
- Beverages at some lodges and additional items ordered during meals
- Entrance fees for any unplanned or optional activities for which the opportunity may arise – you will be made aware of any additional costs before engaging in any such activity
- The cost of any vaccinations that you require to safely attend this tour
We require that you take out comprehensive travel, medical, cancellation, curtailment, and default insurance for the duration of this tour. Some travel insurance companies require that you buy insurance no later than 7 to 14 days after paying your deposit. If you wait longer, some companies may enforce stricter conditions, so do not delay in contacting an insurance company. To buy online, try companies like www.travelexinsurance.com, www.worldnomads.com or www.insuremytrip.com.
After you book, you will be provided with a tour guidebook to help you prepare for your Namibia adventure, including your itinerary and a recommended packing list, both for clothing etc. and your camera gear, as well as a wealth of information about Namibia.
We pride ourselves on the quality and comprehensive nature of our guidebooks, as we believe a deeper understanding of the country you will visit helps you to maximize your enjoyment of the experience and your productivity as a photographer.
Cost & Reservation
The cost for this 17-day tour and workshop is $14,925 per person for a shared room. If you will travel alone a single supplement of $1,150 is required. The single supplement is split with $300 payable with your second deposit, and the remaining $850 payable with your balance.
Group Size and Booking Considerations
We have two options for group size. The first option is just one safari vehicle with five participants + one instructor, and if we have five more people sign up, we’ll run a second vehicle with a second instructor. We will rotate instructors and/or participants daily in this case.
Each group will be notified as and when your vehicle fills and bookings are confirmed.
The payment for this trip is split into 3 installments, due as follows:
- Proceed to pay the booking deposit of $1,500 to reserve your place
- A second deposit of $3,885 is due by May 10, 2022 (for the second vehicle, we will let you know when the vehicle fills and the second deposit becomes necessary.)
- The remaining $8,390 is due by March 10, 2023
- Single Supplement – For single room use a supplement of $1,150 is required. $300 of this is added to the second deposit and $850 is included in the final balance when selecting Single Room Use.
Requests to Share
If you request to share with another participant if someone else wants a shared room, we can try to pair you with someone of the same gender, but if this is not possible, you will be required to pay a single supplement. Canceling your reservation if we cannot match you with another participant will incur full cancellation fees as outlined below.
- As outlined above, the booking deposit may be refunded by Martin Bailey Photography K.K. if participant numbers are not reached by May 10, 2022 (This tour is already confirmed)
- After your group has been confirmed, the two deposits are non-refundable
- If you cancel between 70 to 36 days prior to the date of departure you will forfeit 50% of your total trip cost, including any applicable single supplement
- If you cancel within 35 days of the date of departure, you will forfeit 100% of the tour cost. Where the full cost of the tour has not yet been paid, it will be immediately payable on cancellation
- Note that if you cancel up to 36 days before the start of the tour and we are able to backfill your place, we may refund recoverable costs at our discretion.
- Any refunds that are possible will have transaction fees deducted and may be affected by exchange rate fluctuations.
To book your place, click on the Booking Deposit button below, and proceed through our checkout process. You may pay online by credit card or PayPal. The second deposit and final balance may also be paid via direct bank transfer if you prefer. There is an option to change your payment method before processing payment.
Note that this tour is payable in US dollars only. If the prices below are not displayed in US dollars, please select United States dollars in the below pulldown.
Please proceed to pay the Booking Deposit to secure your place. Select your room type depending on your requirements before proceeding to checkout.
Once your tour has been confirmed, use the Second Deposit button to pay your second deposit by May 10, 2022 or when instructed for the second vehicle.
The final balance payment is due no later than March 10, 2023. For single room use, the single supplement will be included in your balance payment. If you are sharing a room, please select the Double / Shared Room option.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us using our contact form.
Follow our antics on previous tours via these blog posts with audio players embedded, so you can listen along if you prefer:
Namibia Slideshow Video
Check out our Namibia slideshow with photographs and some video from Martin’s previous visits to Namibia.